100 Hours to Fall in Love - Hour 4

"I've called up all his friends," said Ryan. "They're equally baffled regarding Zayd's whereabouts. Nobody knows where he is."
"It's been more than three hours. The crew here is asking us to vacate the place," said Dad.

"We can't leave just yet," said Mom. "Where do we even go? Are we simply going to ignore Zayd's disappearance and go back home?"
I cleared my throat, bringing everyone's attention towards me. "I'll go to our new house. I'm sure Zayd will come back there soon enough."
Mahera aunty's words still haunted my mind. I did not want to believe that Zayd was involved with another woman. And I almost did not, but there was still a tiny speck of doubt at the back of my mind. After all, how much did I really know him? Ours had been an arranged marriage and I had not known Zayd before that.

What if Zayd had really stood me up? What if he was in someone else's home right now while I was out here cold and hungry and waiting for him?
No, it was impossible. Zayd would never betray me.

What if you're being overconfident?

I shook my head to clear away the rubbish thoughts that were colonising my mind. And when I slowly came out of my daze, I realised that Mom was talking to me.

"How will you be there alone, Daria? Have you gone crazy? You're coming back home with us and I don't want any further discussion on this topic," she said.

"I'm not going to be alone, Mom," I said, "Zayd will come soon. Besides, all of mine and Zayd's stuff is there. It would be very inconvenient for me to go anywhere else."
"But, Daria-" Mom protested. Dad stopped her and smiled at me.

"Go ahead," he said, a wistful gaze in his eyes, "I'm proud of you. And also, I admire your trust in him."
"Thank you." I smiled back, then stood up to leave. I had nothing to take with me, except my small handbag that carried my phone, wallet, all the keys, and a few other things.

"We love you," said Mom, pulling me into a tight hug.

"Me too," I said, rubbing her back. I knew she was extremely worried, but I also knew that if she stayed away until Zayd returned, it would be better for everyone. Her health was at risk. I did not want her to get hypertension.

Then I hugged my Dad and we exchanged our goodbyes along with a few tears.

As I headed towards my car, I couldn't help but wonder how it would have felt to have Zayd by my side on this new path home.
I hope he is safe.

Post a Comment

0 Comments