100 Hours to Fall in Love - Hour 1

The celebrations were over, all the relatives and friends had gone home, and it was time for me to leave, too. For us to leave. For us to head towards our new home, a new life. But there were still a few more minutes for that.                 

I bit into the chocolate bar that my sister had left for me in the bride's room aka my room for the night. There was no one around me, and I was grateful for the change. The marriage celebrations had been hectic. The lights, the perfumes, the flowers and all the shimmer - I shuddered at even the thought of it.                   

"No longer single," I said out loud, then I took another bite of the chocolate. Despite all this grand celebration being for me, and oh well him too, I hadn't been offered anything to eat in the past four or five hours. Hadn't anyone heard that a starving bride is not a pleasant bride?

I heard the bedroom door opening and looked up to see him. He smiled softly and closed the door behind him.

I stood up as he hesitantly walked towards me. I swallowed the gooey chocolate and smiled back at him.

"Hi," he said, eyeing the chocolate in my hand.

"Hi." I too looked at the chocolate in my hand. "Um... I was hungry."

Was it weird to look at a bride eating some chocolate?

He looked away from my chocolate and into my eyes. "Yes, of course, I-I-"

I raised an eyebrow. Something was wrong. He was fiddling with his hands and his eyes were anxious.

"What's wrong?" I asked, my own heart clenching with an unknown fear. "Why did you come here? We're supposed to be leaving now."

He let out a long sigh, then extended his arms, resting them on my shoulders. I quivered at his touch.

"Tell me, Zayd," I said, my voice firm but calm. There was no need to assume things and panic.

"I have to go somewhere," he said, looking into my eyes again, "I will be back in an hour. I promise."
                  
"Where do you have to go?" I asked, letting out the breath I didn't know I was holding. My shoulders visibly relaxed and I almost wanted to laugh at the silliness of my assumptions.

"Somewhere important. I can't tell you now, but when I get back, I will. Just trust me, okay? I will be back, Daria." His voice was earnest and his eyes clear.

I smiled at him, placing my hand on his arm. "It's fine. I can wait for an hour. Why are you so worried about it?"

"Nothing. I'm just feeling guilty for making you wait today of all days," he said, cupping my cheeks. "But you trust me, right?"                   

"I wouldn't have married you if there was no trust in this relationship," I said and removed his hands from my shoulders. "Now go. I'm waiting for you. Come back soon."

"I will, love," he said, stepping backward. "I will. And then we will go home. Together."

"We will," I said, almost in a whisper, as I watched him disappear out of the door.

Why did such a simple goodbye leave my heart feeling so heavy? It was just one hour.


Post a Comment

0 Comments